Universal Credit - Changes to rent

If you are on Universal Credit, you must let the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) know about your annual rent increase.

You should do this by putting the new figure into your online journal. You can only do this from the date your rent rise comes into effect - 1 April, 2019.

We can’t tell the DWP about your rent rise on your behalf, but if you need help with your journal please speak to your housing officer.

If you don’t tell the DWP about your rent rise, your Universal Credit will not be increased to cover your new rent.

You can find more information about Universal Credit on our website at 'Universal Credit - What is it?'

If you receive Housing Benefit, you don’t need to do anything. Your benefit will be automatically updated.

If you pay by standing order you need to speak to your bank about increasing your payment.

Make sure you include your rent reference number so your payment reaches your account without delay.

See below our step-by-step guide on how to update your online journal with your rent changes.

How to update your online journal

Sign in to your Universal Credit online journal at www.universal-credit.service.gov.uk/sign-in and follow these simple steps:

  • click on 'Change in circumstances'
  • you’ll be taken to a ‘Report a change’ page
  • select ‘Housing
  • tick the box next to ‘I have this information and want to continue’ and select ‘Next
  • add the day, month and year you want your rent change to start and select ‘Next
  • you’ll be asked ‘Do you pay rent, own your home or get Housing Benefit?’ Select ‘Yes’ and then ‘Next
  • in the ‘Your rent’ section, select 'Rent' and click on the correct option when asked how often do you have to pay this? Select ‘Continue’ when you are done
  • review the changes. If the details are correct, click on ‘Yes, I confirm these details are correct’ and then ‘Next
  • go back to the home page
  • choose ‘Journal’ from the option tabs
  • select ‘Change button’ from the list
  • In the box, tell your Job Coach you have had an increase in your rent charge.