Our homes are not only great for tenants – they are environmentally-friendly too. We’re reducing the carbon footprint of our homes – and using the latest technologies to make homes cosier.
Doing our bit for the planet is also great news for tenants. By making our homes warmer, tenants won’t have to spend as much on their fuel bills.
Making energy more affordable
- improve energy and thermal efficiency standards of our homes
- reduce the number of tenants suffering from fuel poverty by offering fuel and debt advice
- offer alternatives to the Big Six energy firms. Our Power is an independent energy supply company set up by housing associations, including Loretto’s parent company, Wheatley Group
- support the use of wind, wave, marine, hydro, biomass and solar photovoltaic schemes.
- support people in our communities to find jobs, apprenticeships and training places
- get the community involved in environmental projects, for example bringing empty sites or under-used open spaces back to life
- support our suppliers to minimise waste.
- build homes to Silver Standards 1–8
- meet Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method and Scottish Government building division standards
- be more efficient, for example buying ‘eco-friendly’ office supplies
- reduce, re-use and recycle waste with the aim of sending zero waste to landfill.
Protecting the environment
- reduce carbon and other emissions
- reduce risks from climate change
- reduce the use of hazardous materials
- protect and improve the environment.
Sustainable supply chain
- encourage the use of active community benefits when we buy goods and services
- adopt site waste-management plans and buy sustainable materials
- encourage suppliers to use new, resource-efficient ways of working.
Engaging customers and partners
- offer money and fuel advice services to tenants
- support independent agencies which offer money and fuel advice
- encourage partners and stakeholders to think ‘sustainable’.